Photos loaned to copy 2005
Newport Gas Station, c. 1929. “Filling Station at Old Newport Resort on Lower Dells, County Trunk -A,
Baraboo, Wis. 2-29". Now site of Ho Chunk village. Man is Frank Terbilcox (Sr.). City Service gas
station with old style gas pumps where you pump gas into top and gravity feed to car tank. Price
was about 15-19 cents a gallon. Mayor Carl Hornung of Baraboo was the City Service Bulk Plant
Autos, Baraboo, c. 1908-1910, R-L: Orrin Philbrick, Buick/Chev/Cadillac; Fred Terbilcox,
Yellow Cab Co., bought out Sherm Luce Livery (horses); Toby Clavadatcher (Witwen area?); John
Von Wald, Jeweler; Dr. Irwin, M.D.? Located on Baraboo National Bank corner, 3rd & Oak streets.
Businesses, R-L: Baraboo National Bank, John Von Wald Jewelry store (before he moved a block
north); Jim Ryan Barber Shop, may have lived upstairs; Ross Floral Shop, Ernie T. Ross, Capt. of
Fire Dept., then rented to Frank Terbilcox Jr. 1952-1955. Frank then built new retail store at
greenhouse, 302 8th St. (1955); Alley way; Upstairs, Harold Langer Law office & Clyde Cross
joined him and John Terbilcox went on his own and had an office over Ross Floral Shop. Also,
upstairs were the offices of Dr. C.R. Pearson and Dr. Vandercamp. [Photo and information from
Frank W. Terbilcox, E13524 Van Hoosen Rd., Baraboo. Loaned to copy 12-2005.
Loaned to copy June 200
Engine, Baraboo. “Baraboo Depot. Grandpa John Terbilcox (Engineer) 1860-1930. Engine for
Northwestern R.R. Emigrated from Cornwall, England. Chicago to Elroy route. Father of Frank,
Fred, Bernice (Jeffries, Schaclt). Wife Oddesa (Crowle), married St. Endor Parish, Cornwall, Eng.
Buried Walnut Hill Cemetery.”
Van Orden Letter. Letter from Jacob Van Orden to Frank Terbilcox.
Engines Crash. “A Cornfield Meet. From Engineer John Terbilcox on Northwestern our of Baraboo.
Choir Boys. Harold “Lefty” Pierce, Howie Hill, Jack Stewart, Keith Osborne, Frank Terbilcox, Schuyler
Van Orden. c. 1940. Acclytes at Trinity church for George G. Schiffmayer
Timme Mill. Mirror Lake above Timme Mill, L.D. c. 1930's.
Terbilcox Home. Note sign above door. Hometown of John & Odessa Terbilcox (Thebilcock). Came to
Baraboo from St. Columb, Cornwall (England) in 1870. John was R.R. Engineer for the
Northwestern R.R. and father and mother of Frank Alfred Terbilcox & Bernice Terbilcox (Schacht-