Sauk County Historical Society
Ableman Wreck, UN1922, damaged engine at Ableman (Rock Springs) 1884
Ableman Wreck, UN1894, damaged engine at Ableman (Rock Springs), 1884
Baraboo Depot, UN221, old depot, c.1900, just before being moved
Baraboo Engine 683, 64-1964B, in Baraboo Freight yard, 1896, Engineer W.H. Clark in light clothes
Baraboo Railroad Yard, UN220, about 500' south of roundhouse
Baraboo Wreck, 28-1957G, 1889 in Lyons over Baraboo River
Baraboo Wreck, UN1132, 1889 in Lyons over Baraboo River
Baraboo Yard, 16-2001BR, cars, enlargement of postcard
Baraboo Yards, UN1368, engine
Bbo Depot Interior. E-mailed from Rick Eilertson. Shows interior of one of the offices on the
2ndfloor of the Passenger Depot. The photo now belongs to my wife's (Yenti's) mother
Sharon Terry (maiden name Krueger). This photo shows Sharon's grandfather, Arthur F.
Krueger (aka "Pops") at his office desk on the second floor on the west end of the Depot.
Pops was an accountant for C&NW. Sharon noted that Pops was transferred to the
Madison in 1933 or 1934, so this would have been before that (likely sometime between 1910 and 1933). Later he transferred to the Chicago office and retired in 1955 after working 48 years for the railroad
Bartley, 7-19635, Mr. Bartley on engine #3035
Bridge, Merrimac, 43-1958 [A3-122], Steam train crossing the river
Bridge, Merrimac, UN1159, Men on track of bridge over Lk. Wisconsin at Merrimac
Bridges, 10-1998Q31, Bridge over Wisconsin River near Adams
Car Shops, Baraboo, 2-2003JS, from collection of Emma Weibel. Stepfather worked as carpenter
here...put in refrigeration units.
Crew, 7-1963Q (B3-33Q), Nelson Bartley, Sherm York, c. 1945 at Winona Yards, MN
Depot, Baraboo, UN1990
Baraboo Depot, 2-2002Z
Baraboo Depot, 16-2001QF, old frame building
Baraboo Depot, 16-2001QJ
Baraboo Depot, 16-2001QK
Baraboo Yards, Turntable, 2-2003GO, c. 1912. Martin (Martinus) Dyrud in engine cab.
Depot, Baraboo, 10-1998Q9, people waiting for the train
Depot, Baraboo, 16-2001CQ, c. 1912
Depot, Baraboo, UN1895, and engine (No. 597, 4-4-0), before 1900
Depot, LaValle, UN462
Depot, 2-2004JQ, small depot or shed along the tracks
Employees, UN1906, before 1900, Baraboo roundhouse crew, Fred Kessler is 3rd from left in back row
Engine #520, 2-1964
Engine, 20-1950, The St. Clair, (same as UN1944)
Engine, 64-1964A [H-23-40B1], Engineer, Wm H. Clark in cab., c. 1890, at Necedah
Engine #1416, 7-1963R [B3-33R], at Baraboo in front of roundhouse. c. 1907/08.
Engine #1385, 16-2001RR, from Mid-Continent Museum, N.F., 1961
Engine @ Aleman, UN1894, damaged engine, 1884, donated by Mrs. Mary Purcell
Engine @ Ableman, UN1922, damaged engine, 1884
Engine, Baraboo, 16-2001PO, in roundhouse
Engine House, Baraboo, 16-2001PB, copy from Mona Larsen
Engine, UN219, Engine #740
Engine #733, UN223, front view
Engine, UN1367, Engine #807 at Baraboo Yards
Engine, UN1911, #733, 0-6-0, Six wheel switcher, Baraboo switching service, 1895
Engine, St. Clair, UN1944, (same as 20-1950)
Engine, Dodgeville, 2-2003GN, between Dodgeville & Monfort, WI. Martin (Martinus) Dyrud
standing in engine cab.
Engine off track. Loaned to copy by Betty Tourdot. Engine and cars ran off tracks.
Engineers, UN1883, (tintype) c. 1876, C&NW locomotive engineers, including John Fellows
Engines, 15-1990B6 [M-35B6], unknown location
Hand Car, 19-1950DD [R10-23BOD], Man on handcar, location unknown
Hand Car, 113-1950 [R10-23BU], location unknown
Locomotive, 16-2001ET, first locomotive to reach Baraboo in 1871
Locomotive, UN155, Steam engine with train, unidentified location
Merrimac Bridge, 2-2004BE [A32-2003], 1878, built by the Leighton Bridge & Iron Works Co.,
Rochester, N.Y. Total length of Iron Work 1,718 feet 5 5/8 inches. Pivot Draw 200 feet.
Donated by Philip J. Altpeter, June 27, 2000.
Merrimac Bridge, 2-2004BD [A32-2003], 1878, with engine and train on bridge, built by the
Leighton Bridge & Iron Works Co., Rochester, N.Y. Total length of Iron Work 1,718 feet 5 5/8 inches. Pivot Draw 200 feet. Donated by Philip J. Altpeter, June 27, 2000.
N.S.Quarry?, 16-2001QH, engine and cars
North Western Hotel, 16-2001JE, railroad hotel
Platform, Devils Lake, UN1944, C&NW Railroad engine at platform
Roundhouse, Baraboo, UN1154, c. 1904, engine # 392 ran off the turntable
Roundhouse, 16-2001UD, at Baraboo, interior view
Roundhouse, UN660, at Baraboo?,
R.R. Bridge @ Merrimac, 43-1958 [A3-122], steam engine and train crossing the bridge
R.R. Bridge @ Merrimac, UN1159, across Wisconsin River, men on tracks
Railroad Yard, 117-1950 [R10-23BY], Unidentified, from Risley Collection
Train Logo. This is of an artifact owned by Barney Kedrowski and found near his home in
Wisconsin Rapids. It is a logo for the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and was
owned by William C Clark of Baraboo. These logos were affixed to the front of an
engine by the engineer. This was discontinued when engineers were assigned to various
engines and so were not always paired with the same engine. We do not know if this was
an award, something he ordered himself or anything of its story. But it does have a local
tie in that Wm Clark was a Baraboo engineer on the C&NW. Here is a picture of the
railroad artifact with W.H. Clark's name stamped in the top. The brass wheel is 6-1/2" in
diameter. Barney Kedrowski, Wisconsin Rapids, WI, January 2009. Photo sent to us.
Train, R10-23BZ [118-1950], #690 steam train going over bridge. (T.F. Risley collection)
Train Stop, 119-1950EE [R10-23BEE], unknown location
Trains, UN1218, Engine & caboose, May 20, 1963.
Viaduct, Baraboo, 16-2001HZ, building stone viaduct, looking E., S. of Baraboo, near
Weather, UN1213, C&NW narrow gauge, woodman to Fennimore, WI after a flood by the Wisconsin River, c. 1890's.
Work Train, 84-1941 [B4-21B], engine and caboose in Lodi, WI, Mr. Bliss’ work train
Work Train, 84-1941B [B4-21B], at small Summit depot (supposedly Mr. Bliss’ work train)
donated by Bell Bliss
Workers, 393-2004, at shop in Baraboo. Aug. 1898. Front: Morrie Jones, Al Stone, Lyman
Potter, Ed Hiller, Mike Coughlin, John VanPelt. Second Row: ?, Tom Shiels, Claude
Richards, Case Newell, Martin Pierce, Adolph Andro, Hank Watson, Herman King, Louie Zantow. Third Row: Wm Loy, Gottlieb Claus (Foreman, Carpenter), Jim Huger, Tom Erickson (General Foreman), Geo. Blank (Store Keeper), Joe Herfort, Jack Falery?, Jess Woodworth, Aug. Lichtenbert, Joe Egerer. Fourth Row: Harry Sly, Cyrus Blanchett (Truck gang), ?, Geo. Whomes (Spring maker), Fred Wigelow, Everet Selmerder, Juliur Stonner, J. Fowler, ___ Klemm, ?, Carl Degrud?, Fred Hulbert, Chas. Gloyd, Lenard Coats, August Schahauser. Top Row: Otto Schulz, Aug. Ziegler - Fred Raiser, Wm Zook, Ed Gust, Cowdy Young (Foreman boilermaker), ?, Chas. Gollmar, Barney Burus, Frank Lynch, Chas. Page. Above: Wm Dickerson (Time keeper).
Wreck, Baraboo, 2-2002EF, Freight train (loaded with wheat, flax seed, flour,
barley) west of Island Woolen mill across Baraboo River. 51car train & 24 plunged into
Wreck, UN1099, Lyons (W. Baraboo), on old bridge W. of woolen mill, above dam, c. 1890
Wreck, Baraboo, 416-2004, Nov. 1891. E.J. Gless, rear brakeman; Len Alma, head brakeman.
C&NW Historical Society Collection
from: Joe Piersen, 1343 Knollwood Rd., Deerfield, IL 60015
Baraboo Depot 1918, from the archives of the Circus World Museum. [Get their permission if photo is used]
Baraboo Roundhouse 1871, Roundhouse and engine terminal. Turntable is covered so that snow cannot fall into the pit. The windmill is used to pump water into the water tank. The tank itself is leaking and so is covered with ice, which might make it difficult to get water into the engines. The wood pile nearby may indicate some wood-burner engines, though by that year most engines were being converted to coal. The size of the roundhouse indicates that it would have been built over a span of several months, and trains likely brought in much of the material. Our roundhouse book indicates that it was indeed built in 1871, then stalls added in 1879, then expanded outward in the rear in 1903 and 1909. By 1929 it started to shrink as parts were removed.
Reedsburg 1948, depot. Original negative owned by Ray Buhrmaster, 1436 Gilbert Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60515. [Get his permission if photo is used]