Loans: Made to the Sauk County Historical Society
(From Saturday’s Daily)
The Sauk County Historical society has received a number of terra cotta heads and candle sticks from the Wisconsin Archeological society and these will be placed on exhibition in the Baraboo public library in a few days. The specimens were secured by Dr. J.A. Rice from the ancient ruins at Teotihuacan, Mexico, and are of unusual interest as they show that the inhabitants centuries ago had advanced to marked degree of civilization.
There has also been received by the society the proof sheets of I.A. Lapham’s work, “Antiquities,” which are donated by his daughter, Miss Julia A. Lapham of Oconomowoc. Prof. Lapham visited Sauk County prior to 1855 and devotes considerable space to the mounds along the Wisconsin River. The work is now out of print and copies are very rare.
There was also some remains taken from a mound once located on Mound Street. The gift was made by Mrs. Henrietta Schwartz who lives on the lot next to the one where the relics were obtained.
A business meeting of the society was held last night at which about twenty new members were voted in, the old officers re-elected and other business transacted. A vote of thanks was tendered to Miss Lapham for her interest in the work and to Mr. Charles E. Brown of Milwaukee, who is secretary and curator of the Wisconsin Archeological Society, for the loan of the terra cotta pieces and many suggestions made. The society also recognized the great work done in the local field by Mr. W.H. Canfield in compiling and printing more than a thousand pages of Sauk county history.
The next meeting of the society will be held early in November at which Mr. Reuben G. Thwaites of the state historical society, will make an address.
“Sauk County Historical Society Collections”
(First Gift to Sauk County Historical Society”
Baraboo News, May 10, 1905
William Dennis at Merrimack has a curiosity which was no doubt an anchor used by the fur traders in this section of Wisconsin. These traders and trappers followed the streams when Wisconsin was still a wilderness and when they desired to go on shore they would sometimes anchor their bateu by means of a stone to which was fastened a line. The anchor possessed by Mr. Dennis has a staple of iron fastened to it. A hole had been drilled in the stone and the piece of iron soldered fast. The stone is of quartzite and weight about 62 pounds. The peculiar and interesting feature about the curiosity is that it was found several feet underground where Mr. Dennis was digging a cellar for his house. The anchor was probably lost in the soft mud and was then covered over by the grading down of the bank at the point where it was found.
The Museum of Sauk County Historical society has received the following gifts: a collection of Indian spear and arrow points from Mrs. Robert A. Patterson of Prairie du Sac town; a large piece of Indian pottery, two stone axes and other stone implements, from Rob. A. Patterson; a small lot of foreign coins o start the coin collection; some books for the museum library; a collection of Indian stone implements, from Dr. R. C. Brenizer of Loganville. Much interest is being shown in the society and contributions for the museum are coming in steadily and more are wanted. Gifts gladly received.
The museum of the Sauk County Historical society has been enriched by the following gifs, since the last public announcement: E.C. Perkins of Prairie du Sac, 3 dozen arrow and spear points, a stone hammer, sickle from first reaper brought to Sauk County; Charles Naffz, Sauk City, autograph of Count Agostin Harasthy; Mrs. Seth McGilvra, Baraboo, a very fine celt; H.H. Howlett of Baraboo town, celt, J.E. Baer, town of Baraboo, stone pipe; a scraper used by the old Indian chief, Yellow Thunder, given by Edmund Calvert of Fairfield.
The following contributions have been made recently to the museum of the historical society: H.E. Paddock, LaValle, 16 spear and arrow points; G.F. Snyder, Baraboo, cache from Woodland containing 45 flint items; Mrs. Emma Potter Baraboo, celt; John Sass, Sauk City, an old fashioned yoke for carrying two pails; N.F. Wetmore, M.D., North Freedom, pair of old fashioned saddle bags and a very old mortar. These are now on exhibition in the basement of the Baraboo public library building.
The county board has voted to provide a room in the new courthouse for the collection of the Sauk County Historical society.
“Contributions: To the Sauk Co. Historical Society.”
Baraboo News, August 22, 1906
Since the last report the following contributions have been made to the Sauk County Historical society:
A.H. Pratt gives a flail, an old cradle that was once used in cutting wheat, a pair of candle molds and a tong and shovel holder. These articles were owned by Mr. Pratt’s father, P. Pratt, who was a pioneer and a long respected citizen of Baraboo.
W. H. Elke of Milwaukee, sends a fragment of a brick from the old building at Belmont, Wis., where the first territorial legislature of this state convened, Oct. 25, 1836. Belmont is in Iowa County.
Paul A. Seifert of Gotham, Wis., sends a collection of arrow heads picked up in this and other states.
John Koch of Prairie du Sac, sends some handmade nails taken from the old James Christian blacksmith shop at Prairie du Sac, which was practically torn down this summer and made into a new shop.
Edward Terry of Baraboo, gives a miner’s candlestick obtained in a mine in Colorado.
W.H. Hatch, 405 Second Avenue, gives some flint chips taken from his garden. He says that numerous piles of flakes of flint were formerly there which indicated that the Indians must have once used the beautiful spot on the bank of the Baraboo river as a workshop in making flint objects of various kinds.
Mrs. Jane O’Rourke of 121 Linn Street, gives a pewter cup which came from Ireland.
Mrs. G. Cooper, of Baraboo, gives a picture of Baraboo as the city appeared many years ago.
Aaron Teel of the town of Fairfield, contributes an old oil lamp. It was used before the days of kerosene and was considered a great invention in its day.
L.E. Reynolds of Dellona, loans a copper piece once used by the Indians. It has been damaged by the ends being cut off. The specimen was picked up by August Semoneski on section 22 in the town of Dellona.
John Erickson of Baraboo, loans a wooden spoon which came from Norway.
M. Reuland gives a freak of dame nature. The specimen is a limb from an oak tree where a small branch has grown into the main one. In Southern Indiana one tree grew into another some twenty feet from the ground. The one which was absorbed by the other had not the vestige of a limb or leaf.F.H. Getchell, 415 Sixth Avenue, loans some old coins which were the property of his father-in-law, the late O.L. Glazier. Among the coins is a United States half cent of 1809 and a Massachusetts coin of 1787. Mr. Getchell also gives two celts. The specimens were given by Mr. Glazier to Mr. Getchell’s son, deceased.
An ox yoke is presented to the society by the management of the Sauk County farm. It is a relic of thirty years ago and was used at that time by Elijah Lane who was then and is still driving oxen at the county farm. The contribution is made through M.J. Tyler of Baraboo.
Mrs. E.V. Alexander loans an old Portugese coin carried as a pocket piece by Dr. J.F. Alexander, a practicing physician in Baraboo in early days. The coin is dated 1764. Mrs. Alexander also loans a sewing bird and a spool stand owned by Mrs. L.C. Slye and probably brought west by her from her girlhood home in Northern New York. The same person also loans a pair of candle snuffers belonging to Mrs. L.C. Slye. Mrs. Alexander also contributes a sand box once belonging to Dr. L.C. Slye and used by him to dry the ink when writing. This was before the invention of blotting paper.
Once when a boy the late Dr. L.C. Slye was in an old house in Bennngton, Vermont, that was being torn down. In the old building he secured a revolutionary powder horn which Mrs. Eva Alexander loans to the society. The horn in engraved and one of the scenes is the destroyed (?) city of Boston. On another part of the horn is a view of New York and one inscription reads:
Fred Alwin of the town of Prairie du Sac, gives and old spinning wheel, a copper coffee pot of unusual (sic) shape, a handmade axe, one brass candle stick, a handmade hay knife, a pair of ox shoes and a tallow dip lamp. The lamp is one of an older style and use than the one given by Mr. Teel.
M.J. Tyler gives a flail.
Joseph Johnson gives the key used to unlock the old vaults in the court house erected in 1855. He also gives a piece of needle ore from Lake Superior, and a handmade shoe hammer found on Linn Avenue in Baraboo by Emmet Terry.
Leonard Case gives a pair of ox shoes.H.E. Cole contributes a hackle from Indiana, a cannon ball and pewter spoon from Quebec and a piece of the original Davenport ware from the historical society of Montreal.