Black Hawk Photographic Collection
[BHK*] Copied 2000
Bethlehem church, UN1293, at Black Hawk
BHK1 Geo. W. Schneller General Merchandise. Also called Haberman Store. Built 1866, rebuilt in 1902, burned again in 1920. On right side of store was post office, left side of store were living quarters. Photo owner, Argent Sprecher. Several doctors had offices in house south of store. Dr. Fritsche, Dr. Sporleder, Dr. Wahl. Post office on north side of building was established in 1866 by Mr. Kuntz. Kuntz sold the store in 1868, one of the owners was George Schneller. When store burned in 1900, it was rebuilt in 1902 and sold to Edward Kindschi. Wm Schmalz was the next owner. Later it became Haberman’s Store and house. The one horse, four-wheeled milk wagons in photo had probably just taken their milk to the cheese factory which was on Main street in Black Hawk and came over to the store to buy supplies, or check for mail, or see a doctor. (Photo from Carol Anderson Collection).
BHK2 Black Hawk General Store on right. Built 1915. Photo owner, Argent Sprecher. Julius Nold built first store on Main st. in 1915, sold to Phillip Able in 1915, sold to Peter Schneller in 1916. There was an ice cream parlor north of the store with an inside doorway between the two businesses. On second floor of the store were held school programs, community meetings, plays, square dances and 8th grade graduation of Troy students. Also basketball games, meetings by Woodman’s Lodge and Royal Neighbors of America. Dr. Louis Ziemke, a dentist from Sauk City, came through periodically and did dental work in the store using a portable foot peddle drill. The store burned in 1932 and was rebuilt with a barber shop on the south side. A bench in front of the store was the meeting place for men to come and visit. There was an ice house behind Peter Schneller’s store. North of the store John Schiess had a carpentry shop, later George Lusby continued the carpentry work and he had a sawmill behind the shop. (Photo from Carol Anderson Collection).
BHK3 General Wagon, Carriage and Repair Shop. Built in 1878. Building taken down in late 1940's. Building was red with wood shingles. Photo owner, Argent Sprecher. The hotel built to house sugar beet factory workers was moved in 1878 and used for the blacksmith shop. It was 30' x 40' and two stories high. The Black Hawk band practiced in the upstairs rom. Martin Lutterman owned the business from 1921-1945, and sold it to Frances Dresen. The shop soon went out of business and was torn down. (Photo from Carol Anderson Collection).
BHK4 Black Hawk State Bank. Built in 1914, closed in 1933 during the depression. Photo owned by Argent Sprecher. Bank began with a capital of $10,000. In 1938 the town of Troy bought the building to use as a town hall. Building taken down in 1998 and a new town hall built. (Photo from Carol Anderson Collection).
BHK5 Same as BHK4 above.
BHK6 Sugar Beet factory. Built in 1873, it was 40' x 119', two stories. Photo owned by Argent Sprecher. The sugar beet business was disastrous for citizens of Troy and Honey Creek townships. When organized, each farmer was charged $250 per share plus an agreement to raise 4 acres of beets. 1870: the crop was excellent but the factory wasn’t in running order yet, entire crop was lost. 1871: all crops failed. 1872: another crop failure because beets froze before harvesting. The sugar beet business was a total failure. (Photo from Carol Anderson Collection).
BHK7 Hosig Garage. Abandon in 1998. Brick building located south of bank. Photo from Argent Sprecher. Alex Hosig and John Bantley built a garage before the one depicted here. That building was moved 2 doors south and a plumbing business was opened by Louis and Leah Hosig. Later building sold to Fedderman Brothers who used it as a garage again. Feddermans built a school bus in 1932-22 to transport country children to high school. (Photo from Carol Anderson Collection).
BHK8 Fedderman Garage on right. (Photo from Carol Anderson Collection).
BHK9 School bus built by Fedderman Brothers in 1932-22. (Photo from Carol Anderson Collection).
BHK10 Hosig/Fedderman garage. (Photo from Carol Anderson Collection).
BHK11 John Schiess carpenter shop and saw mill. Located west of Hwy C in Black Hawk. Schiess was a local contractor in late 1800's end early 1900's. He built many barns and houses in the area, and employed several crews. In 1901 he was head contractor for building the Black Hawk Church. (Photo from Carol Anderson Collection).
BHK12 Black Hawk grist mill. Located on Mill Rd. west end of Black Hawk. In 1856 was a sawmill built by John Bear on land he got from the state of WI. In 1867 bought by Charles Harlochner and converted to gristmill. Powered by mill dam. Ownership passed through 14 persons before Herman Martin owned it in the 1930's. He removed top floor. The mill dam also provided electrical power for the village. Photo owned by Argent Sprecher. (Photo from Carol Anderson collection.)
BHK13 Stone in Black Hawk Cemetery. In 1864 an acre of land was donated by Adolph Sprecher for use as a cemetery. Earliest burial was in 1867. (Photo from Carol Anderson collection.)
BHK14 John Schiess home & sawmill lumber business. Built many homes in Black Hawk. Did his own drying and seasoning of lumber. From the book “Honey Creek Hamlets, 1998.”
BHK15 Black Hawk Mill & Dam, 1922.
BHK16 Gen’l Mose Store, 1908. The original Haberman Store was built in 1866 by C.C. Kuntz. Burned in 1900 & sold to Edward Kindschi. Burned again in 1920's. Was also a post office at one time. From the book “Honey Creek Hamlets, 1998.”