1855 Cassell Prairie Flag
Though Cassell Prairie is now a ghost town with only a road, a lilac hedge, and cemetery to remind us of its existence, there remains, amongst the collections of the Sauk County Historical Society, a relic of the people who once called that small community home. It is a flag. A fairly large U.S. flag, measuring 6 by 8 feet. It was made by a group of perhaps half a dozen ladies for the Forth of July Celebrations in 1855. Sewn by hand and containing only 16 stars, the flag was made more for its size rather than for its accuracy. It was hoisted up on a pole and placed atop one of the mighty bluffs, which line the edge of the old community.
For many years the flag was used as a stage curtain for local productions, quite possibly at the now long gone Bentley Tavern in Cassell Prairie, which was located at the intersection of Highway 60, and Cassell Rd. in Troy Township. In November 1908 the Flag was donated to the Sauk County Historical Society.
For many years the flag was on display but because of preservation concerns it has been removed from public display and carefully put in storage. The 1855 flag is occasionally brought out for public display at special events.